Monday, February 13, 2012

Preface


For more than half my life, I’ve wanted to be a writer.  But I was only effective at it when I was super depressed and/or experiencing a turmoil of different emotions, especially unfamiliar ones.  By nature, I’ve never been a very emotional person.  And writing was my only method of dealing with them when they came in large quantities.  I also was drinking heavily when I wrote effectively.

Fortunately, I’ve not had to deal with much depression of unfamiliar waves of emotions since I met my wife.

Unfortunately, that has meant I haven’t written pretty much anything.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have plenty of brilliant ideas all the time.  I just am not effective at putting the ideas into the appropriate words to make a good story.  Now I probably could still do well with that since there’s a lot of horribly written stories that stem from good ideas.  (Read: Dan Brown, Stephanie Meyers, etc).  But I wouldn’t feel good about associating my name with a crappy story even if it gave me millions of dollars.

Many people that know me will be surprised that I included Stephanie Meyers as an example.  I think the idea behind her premise is fine (except for the sparkling vampire crap), but they are among the worst written stories ever made.  That’s for another blog though.

I ‘d love to start writing good stuff again, but I don’t want to be in the situations I have been in previously which led to be being an effective writer.  And I don’t want to “force it,” because every time I do, I just churn out crap and it deteriorates into worse crap if I continue to “force it.”

As for drinking, I drink from time to time, but never more than 2 drinks on a day.  I don’t plan to change that, as I don’t have the need to escape from life any more.

That’s it for my first blog entry.  We’ll see what develops over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quill Writing

Quill Writing