Thursday, September 20, 2012

Potpourri of Progress

So Zach (Brother-in-law) came by a couple of weeks ago and we lifted the 53 Mercury onto the frame and out of the driveway.  Later that same day, Candice and I put together the trampoline.  A misreading of the assembly instructions made connecting the springs about a hundred times harder, which I still managed to accomplish (at great stress to my muscles which were sore for almost an entire week).

We also have a swing set/playground set we will start installing within the next week or two.  That’s going to cause us to move the trampoline, because it’s where part of the playground set is supposed to go.  But since the ground isn’t as level anywhere else except where we plan to level the ground for the pool, we’ll need to move it over the area we intend to level, and then figure out how to level it.

I don’t quite have the funds to but the bricks for the retaining wall up front, so my tentative plan to start leveling is to start moving the dirt around to where it needs to be leveled and buy the bricks a little at a time.  Then when we get closer, finish buying the bricks and get them firmly placed where they need to go.  The trampoline will then be in the what is now the “circle of doom” until we build the gazebo.  At that time, we’ll figure out where to best place the trampoline and what needs to happen to place it there.

I recently found out that Amazon has made getting a book published and marketed vastly easier than it ever has been before.  With Kindle Direct Publishing you can publish it and have it for sale immediately for the Kindle (which can be read on more than just the Kindle – Android devices, iPad and iPhone devices, some Blackberries, PCs and Mac Computers).  They also have a “paper” publishing sister site for getting the book published in a more traditional manner.  With the KDP, you can chose which royalty system to go with (35% or 70%) one has you have an exclusivity period with Amazon of 90 days. 

But the bottom line is, I’ve never wanted to go through the hassle to get anything published before because I hated the system, so I just wrote for myself.  Now, I’m seriously contemplating trying to get enough stories together to put out a novel of short stories and selling it on Amazon.

Donna started today wearing underpants primarily.  It took about three weeks before her diaper genie got filled enough for us to empty it, presumably because she hasn’t needed to change them as often, so we’re giving her the green light.  Hopefully in a month or so, we can talk with her daycare about lowering the cost based on previous discussions by $10 per week.  That’s $520 a year that will come in very handy when it comes to stuff like, say, building a retaining wall.

Megi is enjoying walking around if and only if we’re holding her hands.  Hopefully, this will spark an interest in turning loose and actually taking a step on her own.  She can do it, she is just to timid to risk it.  That’s funny to me, because she’s a little daredevil most other times.

Gabe is learning what it’s like to have a job.  He’s trying to save up for a 3DS, but doesn’t always do his chores to earn his allowance.  He’s learning (the hard way) that he has to earn stuff, not just get it.  A valuable lesson that is frustrating Candice and me right now, but he’s going to turn into a much better man than most other kids our family’s income level and above that just give stuff to their kids. 

We still haven’t made the appointments to have him checked out for ADD/ADHD yet, and we’ll find out soon how he’s doing in school.  I suspect we’ll need to make those appointments soon because unless he’s a vastly different person in school, he’s probably losing focus there and falling behind like he did last year.  I hate medicating for the sake of medicating, but it seems rather obvious that he’s got a real problem and I’d rather him not fall behind kids his age.

I recently went to the doctor because my allergies have gone from being bad twice a year for a month or two each to being year round, and they did a blood test and a referral to an allergist.  The blood results came back with juniper and mugwort, plus I’m very allergic to cats.  So, today I go become a human pincushion to refine exactly what my allergies are and to start getting regular shots to lessen my allergies.  Who knows, maybe I’ll even be able to sleep on my other side.

That’s all I have for now, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quill Writing

Quill Writing