Friday, March 2, 2012

They screwed up changing batteries in smoke detectors when they changed Daylight Savings Time

The only good thing Daylight Savings Time was EVER good for was markings on the calendar for changing the batteries in your smoke detectors.  But when Congress expanded it by a month on each end to save on energy costs (they did so without any studies showing it would in fact save energy and in fact Studies have shown it does the exact opposite), that made the time in and out of DST became uneven and therefore not a good measure of when to change your batteries, unless you like to tempt fate over the warmer months.  So, I usually use the Spring and Autumnal Equinoxes for my timeframe.  But this year's spring changing is having to go off a little earlier than planned because one of the smoke detectors started beeping yesterday and had to be replaced a few weeks early (it falls on 20 March this year).  So this weekend, just to keep them all in relative sync, we're doing the rounds for the rest of the house's smoke detectors.

I also ordered the wagon wheels today to begin the 2011 Halloween construction project.  HOPEFULLY, by Halloween, I'll have built a funtional horse-drawn hearse.  I should probably plan it out more thoroughly but I'm going to go with a basic design to begin with and flush out details as it unfolds based on how it holds up.  Along those same lines, I think I'll be replacing the front house lights and using the old ones ON the cab of the hearse.  Both ought to make my wife happy.

I've also found out from a friend that also lives in Erie that there is a YMCA on Arapahoe and 95th that has ice skating and hockey for kids.  So we might be looking into that for Gabe and maybe Donna.  Apparently they are $90 per class and kids can start at 3 years old.  The hockey season is I guess about $350 to play, so we'll see how it goes.

That's it for this entry.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quill Writing

Quill Writing