Monday, January 28, 2013

Busier Than Expected

So, this past week ended up being quite busy. 

I booked a hotel in Rochester, NY for the family.  Candice will be going to a lampwork convention, while I entertain the kids around the town.  We'll be going there after spending a week and a half at the lake house in South Carolina on our annual trip there.  I still need to book the single night hotels for going there and coming home, but summer vacation plans are essentially made.

On Tuesday, I helped out at the book fair at Gabe's school because there wasn't enough volunteers (outside Candice, who helps every year), so we got Candice's aunt to watch the kids and were both there.

I took down the tape in Donna's new bedroom, and re-taped so we could paint the trim.  I also installed the new outlet and light switch cover plates.  Hopefully, we get the trim painted soon and I'll move Donna's dressers in the new room and set up the bed for her.  (Then we'll start on Meg's room.)


Gabe has been overfeeding the fish for a while, and we hadn't noticed.  They all died recently and I finally noticed, but there was dead fish scum over everything in the tank, so I completely cleaned the tank out and bought all new stuff for the new tank.  We've got tester Mollies and Platties in the tank now to see how they survive.  If they're doing fine after a week, we'll get a few more fish.

(The fish are not in this picture)

This weekend, I had planned to clean the garage because of the family of mice we disposed of, but it was too chilly Saturday, and I figure it'll take at least both days to do, so I put it off (though I did pull out the freezer to check behind/under it and found nothing).  If it's nice this Saturday, I'll at least get the area where Candice parks and the two pantry like cabinets cleaned out.

On Sunday, it was a little warmer, so I started work on the ventilation project for Candice's lampwork studio.  I got a gable mounted fan that puts out about 1650 cfm that is super quiet.  I bypassed the thermostat that controls it (because I need it to work regardless of the temperature, not just when it's warmer than 60 degrees), and installed an outlet plug and a light switch (so she doesn't have to unplug it when she stops using it).  I cut a hole in a piece of plywood and mounted the fan onto it.  Now I have to finish making the "box" (the reverse side plywood and cross support "beams"), add duct work to it, and voila, I don't have to worry about her dying of poisonous gases while she's doing her art.


I mailed off the reply to the IRS for Grandma today.  They claimed that the sale of the old house and her social security weren't claimed, yet the filed tax forms clearly show the exact numbers they claim weren't on there, so I copied them, circled the figures, wrote a response, and sent the package back.  Hopefully that will be the last of that.

I'll be going later today to renew my license plates for my car.

Sunday, I'll be donating platelets at Bonfils.  that is if I remember the appointment.  Candice and I haven't been very good about remembering the blood donation appointments since we started getting perpetually sick in November.

That's all for this entry.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you spent/spend time at Strong's Museum of Play in Rochester. That place is fantastic (we go every summer when we visit the in-laws in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife will be at the glass convention thingy and I'll have the kids, so I'm looking for as many kid related things to do there as possible over the four-five days I'll be there...

    ReplyDelete

Quill Writing

Quill Writing